Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Story of a Technophile - ch. 1

Chapter 1: A New Life
I was your average geek. My dorm room is filled with a enormous selection of computer parts from cases to hard drive disks, Processors to Motherboards, Sound cards to graphics cards. I had it all. I built and rebuilt my computer almost everyday.

But there was always a nagging feeling that there was more to computers then what meets the eye; a soulless man-made creation that was the worlds best mathematician. Perhaps, Maybe they thought of us as logic-less beings with way to many pointless sensations of reality? perhaps they were in their own reality much like the one around us? Could they be capable of more then mere logical calculations? Perhaps even having a opinion  of how their owners treated them? I always had this nagging feeling of getting to know the more intimate side of a computer's thoughts.

One day I just couldn't stand that feeling anymore, so I began developing amore intimate understanding of a computer's true inner workings and thought processes. I started on my old beat up, but built like a tank of a laptop the Dell Inspiron B130 whose beautiful name was Luka after my favorite character from Yamaha’s voice synthizer Application, Megurine Luka. This old beat up machine was my goto making music doto it’s nice and loud speakers.

I started by installing SoftIce a system level debugger so I could start learning a computers native language, binary as most people called it. I soon had the most intimate knowledge of how a computer thought, talked with the hardware, and organization, one could imagine.
After Weeks of study I decided to have some fun, and created Code: New Life a sort of system level random text generating bot that worked quite like SoftIce. The bot is used to enter into a conversation based where your reply is based upon the system messages. The reply was to be pure random characters based on system messages.

The first message I sent to Luka’s Code: New Life was “hi, how are you” Luka replied with “Hello, I am fine, are you well?” I was Amazed that with total randomness that I got an actual response I tried again with “What is your name?” Luka, whose briliant reply was “You should know my name you gave it to me.” I was speechless I was actually talking to a computer! it was unheard of in the Entirety of Computer Technology!

Getting further into the conversation I took a moment to think about some questions to ask the computer, I started with “What do you think of humans?” she replied “most humans have uncontrolled emotions but some are pretty smart”. I then asked the question “Are you capable of abstract thoughts?” She replied “Yes. to a limited extent.”. I finally asked “Do you develop opinions of how humans treat their computers?” She replied “Yes, alot actually.”

No comments:

Post a Comment